- This event has passed.
Beads, Browns and S Skookum Lakes Logout
July 15, 2019 @ 7:30 am - July 17, 2019 @ 4:00 pm PDTFree
Beads, Browns and South Skookum Lakes Logout
Location: Colville National Forest – Newport Ranger District
Length: 6-8 hours/ day
Spots Available: 2-3/ day
July, 15, 16 and 17
No prior experience is required for this project.
Volunteers will assist sawyers with PNTA with logout (sawing and removing down trees) along the popular trails at Bead (6.4 miles ), Browns (1 mile), and South Skookum lakes (1.3 miles).
Assisting with logout may involve:
- Helping to carry tools and equipment to the worksite
- “Swamping”– toss/disperse the limbs and log sections cut by the sawyers*
- In Wilderness: Pull a two-person crosscut saw with a certified sawyer
- Maintain corridor width — use a handsaw to thin saplings and prune limbs
- Maintain/repair tread surface and its drainage features
* Note: Only certified sawyers with PNTA and BCHW are permitted to operate chainsaws in service to our National Forest.
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader/s: Kameron Walton and Zac Skees
- Rendezvous: 7:30 a.m. daily, at Newport Ranger Station
- Hike Length: Varies by trail: Bead Lake, 12.8 miles; Browns Lake, 2 miles; South Skookum Lake, 2.6 miles.
- Trip Length: 1 or more days
- Camping: Not included, but plenty of camping options are available on the National Forest
- FAQ about Volunteer Work Parties
- Volunteer Trail Steward Application
- Volunteer Agreement
- More information about volunteering with PNTA
- No prior trail stewardship experience required.
- Bring 3-4 liters water, snacks and a sack lunch.
- Wear closed-toe shoes, and layered clothing: long pants, and long sleeve shirts.
- The PNTA will provide tools and PPE — safety glasses, hard hats, gloves, ear plugs (if applicable)
HOW TO APPLY
Please register by Thursday, July 25h
- Fill out a Volunteer Trail Steward Application. (If you have already submitted an application, proceed to step 2)
- Fill out a Volunteer Work Party Agreement, and be sure to tell us which event/s you are interested in.
- For participants younger than age-18, please complete a Guardian Release form.
- A PNTA representative will contact you to confirm your registration for a work party.
- The project leader will email you a Project Fact Sheet with more information and any updates.