Mill Pond Restoration Project
July 27 @ 8:00 am - July 28 @ 5:00 pm PDTFree
Mill Pond Trail System
Location: Colville National Forest – Sullivan Lake Ranger District
Length: 6-8 hours/ day
Spots Available: 2-3/ day
July, 27 and 28
No prior experience is required for this project.
Volunteers will assist with the final improvements to recreation resources around the Mill Pond Dam Removal and Habitat Restoration Project. (millponddam.com)
Assist the PNTA with tasks, such as:
- Mill Pond South 550: Bust out a minor boulder that is intruding on the width and finished surfaced of the trail. Dig side ditches and install three rock underdrains to release water that’s muddying 250-ft of trail.
- Elk Creek Spur Trail 560.1: General tread and corridor maintenance. Construct a series of turnpikes and a puncheon bridge over surface water and seeps.
- Historic Mill Pond Dam Connector: Complete the loop of the Mill Pond trail system– construct approximately 900 feet of new trail to connect Elk Creek Spur TR 560.1 to the new bridge crossing the historic Mill Pond Dam site.
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader/s: Kameron Walton
- Rendezvous: 8:00 a.m. daily, at Sullivan Lake Ranger Station
- Hike Length: 1-2 miles a day
- Trip Length: 1-2 days
- Camping: Not included, but plenty of camping options are available on the National Forest
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2018
- FAQ about Volunteer Work Parties
- Volunteer Trail Steward Application
- Volunteer Agreement
- More information about volunteering with PNTA
- No prior trail stewardship experience required.
- Bring 3-4 liters water, snacks and a sack lunch.
- Wear closed-toe shoes, and layered clothing: long pants, and long sleeve shirts.
- The PNTA will provide tools and PPE — safety glasses, hard hats, gloves, ear plugs (if applicable)
HOW TO APPLY
Please register by Thursday, July 25h
- Fill out a Volunteer Trail Steward Application. (If you have already submitted an application, proceed to step 2)
- Fill out a Volunteer Work Party Agreement, and be sure to tell us which event/s you are interested in.
- For participants younger than age-18, please complete a Guardian Release form.
- A PNTA representative will contact you to confirm your registration for a work party.
- The project leader will email you a Project Fact Sheet with more information and any updates.