National Trails Day – Volunteer Work Party – West
June 1 @ 8:00 am - 3:00 pm PDTFree
Trail: Swift Creek Trail #607
Location: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest – Mt. Baker RD
Length: Day Trip, 6 Hours
Spots Available: N/A
No prior experience is required for this project
SWITMO (the Skagit Whatcom and Island County Trail Maintenance Organization) will once again lead volunteers in a day of work on National Trails Day. Folks will brush and logout the PNT/ Swift Creek Trail, and Trail 1144, beginning at the Swift Creek Trailhead near Baker Hot Springs working north. Tread work and structure maintenance can happen as needed.
The project is rated easy and will have options for all abilities. There may be opportunities to use crosscut saws, to develop trail scouting skills with the PNTA’s “trail eyes” program, or to work with SWITMO volunteers to support the field work.
Notes: No prior experience is required for this project. The Swift Creek Trail accesses the Mt Baker Wilderness; Wilderness Regulations apply within the wilderness. Volunteers must have a daypack, lunch and water. Refreshments will be served by SWITMO volunteers at the end of the day.
- Project Leader/s: SWITMO
- Trail Crew Leader/s: Doug Shepherd (SWITMO), Sterling Collins-Hill (PNTA)
- Rendezvous Point/s: PNTA Office (Sedro-Woolley)
- Hike Length: 0-5 Miles
- Trip Length: 9am – 3pm (refreshments and socializing after)
- Camping: camping is available on the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2018
- FAQ about Volunteer Work Parties
- Volunteer Trail Steward Application
- Volunteer Agreement
- More information about volunteering with PNTA
- Rendezvous in Sedro-Woolley at the PNTA office at 8am
- Drive west on Highway 20 for 15 miles
- Take a left on Baker Lake Rd, continue 18.2 miles
- Take a left on NF-1130, continue 4 miles
- Take a slight right on NF-1144, park in 0.5 miles at the Swift Creek Trailhead
Staging Area: Swift Creek Campground
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill out a Volunteer Trail Steward Application. (If you have already submitted an application, proceed to step 2)
- Fill out a Volunteer Work Party Agreement, and be sure to tell us which event/s you are interested in.
- A PNTA representative will contact you to confirm your registration for a work party.
- The project leader will email you a Project Fact Sheet with more information and any updates.