- This event has passed.
Kettle Crest Trail Realignment at Snow Peak
July 9 @ 10:00 am - July 12 @ 4:00 pm PDTFree
Trails: Kettle Crest Trail 13S
Location: Colville National Forest – Republic District
Length: 6-8 hours per day
Spots Available: 4 Spots Per Trip
Dates: Thursday, July 9th and Sunday, July 12th
Register by: Tuesday, July 7th
Join our volunteer crew for the weekend to help build a new section of trail! We’ll camp out on the Pacific Northwest Trail and construct 800 feet of new tread along the Kettle Crest.
Your work will help improve the PNT and protect water quality by correcting an erosion problem on the current route.
We will use hand tools and team work to improve trail conditions by: reconstructing and maintaining trail surfaces, drainage systems, and crossing structures; reinforcing trail closures; placing aggregate to reduce surface erosion; removing logs* to prevent erosion from captured runoff and user-generated walk-arounds.
For a full weekend adventure, arrive Thursday afternoon and depart Sunday afternoon. Need to arrive later, or depart sooner? Let us know when you register. Meals will be provided for volunteers that join us for the full weekend.
Pack support is also welcome! To support our volunteer crew, help us carry loads of provisions and tools to the worksite. Contact Coordinator, Kristin Ackerman if you can help prep the worksite on Thursday, July 9th or Sunday, July 12th.
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader/s: Kameron Walton and Sidney Scarlett
- Rendezvous: Hall Creek Road at Hwy 20 – Thursday, July 9th at 10am
- Hike Length: Backpack about 3 miles to the Snow Peak Cabin. Hike < 1 miles a day
- Trip Length: 1-4 days
- Camping: Free backcountry camping will be provided at the Snow Peak Cabin, just a short walk from the worksite!
- FAQ about Volunteer Work Parties
- Volunteer Trail Steward Agreement
- More information about volunteering with PNTA
- PNTA Field Safety Manual: Covid-19 Epidemic Protocol
- Personal Gear: Suggested Pack List
- No prior trail stewardship experience required.
- Bring 3-4 liters of water-carrying capacity and lunch for each day on the trail.
- Wear closed-toe shoes, and layered clothing: long pants, and long sleeve shirts.
- The PNTA will provide tools and PPE: safety glasses, hard hats, gloves, ear plugs (if applicable)
HOW TO APPLY
Please register by Tuesday, July 7th
- Fill out a Volunteer Agreement to enroll as a PNTA volunteer and register for an event. For participants younger than age-18, please complete a Guardian Release form.
- Please RSVP no later than 5:00 pm two (2) business days before the work party.
- The project coordinator will contact you to confirm your registration for a work party.
- A crew leader will contact you to confirm you ETA and answer your questions.