Date(s): 06/23/2021 - 06/30/2021
7:00 am - 4:30 pm
Total: 0 / Remaining: 0
Deer Creek Summit South Trailhead
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Work Party
- Trip Type: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Construction
The PNT extends the Kettle Crest Trail system another six miles north from the Deer Creek Summit Trailhead, wending through an area impacted by the 54,000 acre Stickpin Fire in 2015. This section of the PNT had been heavily obstructed by blowdowns until a PNTA work party cleared it out late last season.
With volunteers’ help, we can keep this trail segment open and bring the route up to National Scenic Trail standards. Volunteer “swampers” will work with a PNTA sawyer, rolling log rounds and removing cut branches from the trail corridor. We can also spot maintain the tread, clear drains, and prune back brush along the way.
This trip may also include: installation of trail closures at either end of this section to prevent unauthorized motorized access, and construction of a structure to cross over a wet area.
This is a Drop-in Work Party: volunteers make a difference by boosting the capacity of a PNTA Work-based Learning Crew. The WBL crew works on site for the duration of the trip, but volunteers are welcome to participate for as long as they like.
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and daypack recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2020
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader/s: TBD
- Trip Time: up to + hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 6 miles round trip
- Spots Available: 4
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Republic Ranger District
- Rendezvous Point: Deer Creek Summit North TR 040
- Staging Area:
- Camping: Available with PNTA staff at the semi-developed Deer Creek Campground
- Directions: See Location for directions
All Events at Deer Creek Summit South Trailhead
- Kettle Crest North: Marble Mountain to Profanity Peak — Maintain and Restore - 07/09/2023 - All Day