Date(s) - 08/23/2021 - 08/28/2021
Sweat Creek Picnic Area
Download Event iCal
- Region: The Okanogan
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to potential hike length)
- Hike Length: over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Volunteer Work Party
- Trip Type: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Construction
Help build trail between Corner Butte and Fir Mountain that will eliminate five dusty miles of road walk on Fir Creek Road. When the new trail segment is complete, volunteers will have made a lasting improvement to the trail corridor by helping to relocate the PNT from a gravel forest road to a foot-friendly trail through a Ponderosa forest.
Volunteer “swampers” will work with PNTA sawyers, helping to roll log rounds and remove cut branches from the trail corridor.
We’ll do tread work to shape and define the trail surface where needed, and open the corridor with brush work. And we’ll way mark the trail with Thunderbirds at potentially confusing junctions.
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and pack recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2015
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader/s: TBD
- Trip Time: up to 7 hrs + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 6–12 miles round trip, depending on whether we shuttle
- Spots Available: 7
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Tonasket Ranger District
- Rendezvous Point: Sweat Creek Picnic Area
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Camp with PNTA staff at a dispersed, undeveloped site nearby; or camp at a nearby developed (pay-to-stay) campground, like Swan Lake.
- Directions: See Location for directions