Date(s): 07/21/2022 - 07/24/2022
Total: 34 / Remaining: 27
Gypsy Meadows Campground
Download Event iCal
Note: This trip has been rescheduled from its original dates (late-June 2022) due to lingering snow pack.
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: Backpacking Experience Recommended
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Work Party, Backcountry Trip
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
Preserve safe and sustainable access to the scenic ridgelines and densely forested slopes of the remote Salmo-Priest Wilderness with this PNTA Performance Crew maintaining portions of the Shedroof Divide TR 512, and its feeder trails Shedroof Cutoff TR 511 and Thunder Creek TR 526.
Help clear a path thru the PNT by joining this log out party as a “swamper” who follows behind a PNTA sawyer, rolling log rounds and tossing branches off the trail. Take turns on the end of a crosscut saw as we maintain a corridor through the Wilderness. Crew members also use loppers or handsaws to trim back brush, saplings and branches growing in the corridor, and dirt work tools to repair the tread and clear drains along the way.
While we maintain the feeder trails we will car camp at a dispersed site near the trailheads. On Friday morning we’ll embark on a backcountry trip when the the crew moves to a spike camp 3–4 miles up Thunder Creek TR 526, staging ourselves closer to the Shedroof Divide for the weekend.
If you’re not available to serve on a crew, but you’re up for a solid day hike, you can still make a difference by helping this crew carry gear and supplies to their backcountry camp. See “Other Ways to Volunteer”, below.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your backpacking gear, and a thirst for a rewarding weekend on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2021
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Hannah & Triston
- Trip Time: up to 6+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 10 miles round trip at maximum range
- Spots Available: 2 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by 12:00 p.m. Friday, July 15th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Sullivan Lake Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Gypsy Meadows Campground
- Staging Area: Thunder Creek TH
- Camping: Multi-day participants may disperse camp with the PNTA crew
- Directions: See Location for directions
Other Ways to Volunteer
Whether they’re carrying a backpack or leading a pack string of stock animals, pack support volunteers help move tools and supplies in and out of our backcountry “spike camps” so crews can direct more of their energy towards trail work.
The PNTA can equip you with a backpack for this mission. If you’re utilizing stock animals then we may be able to reimburse you for mileage. Reach out to the Project Leader (firstname.lastname@example.org) to coordinate details for your pack support trip.
Packing in to the backcountry: On this trip we’d like the crew to relocate to their spike camp when they head out to work on 07/22 Friday morning. Given the remote location, we recommend pack supporters arrive Thursday evening, if possible. With enough notice we can include you with our meals plans for dinner on Thursday night, and breakfast on Friday morning.
Packing out of the backcountry: We’d like the crew to return to their basecamp at the end of the day, 07/25 Monday— departing from their backcountry camp in the early afternoon. Pack supporters are welcome to remain with the crew at basecamp on Monday; with enough notice we can plan to feed you dinner on Monday night, and breakfast on Tuesday morning.
About Drop-in Work Parties
“Drop-in” volunteers make a difference by boosting the capacity of a PNTA Performance Crew. The crew works on site for the duration of the trip, but volunteers are welcome to participate for as long as they like.
Meals are available for multi-day participants who register early enough for us to include them in meal plans. (See Meals deadline in Project Details, above.)
Want to dig deeper and play longer? The Performance Crew works at this location for a full week, and drop-in volunteers are welcome to join any day.
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Gypsy Meadows Campground
- Shedroof Divide Access Trails — Annual Maintenance - 06/22/2023 - 06/25/2023 - All Day
- Salmo-Priest Wilderness — Pack In Support - 08/01/2023 - All Day
- Salmo-Priest Wilderness — Pack Out Support - 08/07/2023 - All Day