Date(s): 07/07/2022 - 07/10/2022
Total: 12 / Remaining: 12
Deer Creek Summit South Trailhead
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by guardian
- Difficulty: Intermediate to Difficult (due to hike length, but on relatively easy grades)
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles to over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Work Party
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
It’s the perfect excuse to linger on the Kettle Crest while the wildflowers are in their prime: Join this PNTA crew maintaining the Pacific Northwest Trail in the Kettle River Range, between Marble Mountain and Profanity Peak. On this trip, working north to south, we’ll maintain: Marble Mountain TR 6120-400, East Deer Creek TR 6100-450, the Kettle Crest TR 13N from Boulder-Deer Pass to Profanity Peak, and Long Alec TR 43.1.
Help clear a path through the PNT by joining the log out party as a “swamper” who follows behind a PNTA sawyer, rolling log rounds and tossing branches off the trail. We’ll also use use loppers or handsaws to trim back brush and saplings, and dirt work tools to spot repair the tread and clear drains along the way.
While we’re there, we’ll check on some new turnpikes (installed in 2021) and add some fill dirt, as needed.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack, and a thirst for a rewarding day on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2021
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Kassi & Sean
- Trip Time: up to 6+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to miles round trip
- Spots Available: 2 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by 12:00 p.m. Friday, July 1st
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Republic Republic Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Deer Creek Summit North 040/ Summit Motor Way FR 6100-450
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Multi-day participants may car camp at a semi-developed campground with the PNTA crew
- Directions: See Location for directions
About Drop-in Work Parties
Meals are available for multi-day participants who register early enough for us to include them in meal plans. (See Meals deadline in Project Details, above.)
Want to dig deeper and play longer? The Performance Crew works at this location for a full week; reach out to the Project Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to coordinate participation on a day not listed in the registry.
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Deer Creek Summit South Trailhead
- No events in this location