Date(s): 07/21/2022 - 07/25/2022
Total: 18 / Remaining: 13
Download Event iCal
- Region: The Okanogan, Northeast Washington
- Experience: Backpacking Experience Recommended
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Pack Support for Backcountry Crew
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Pack Support
The mountains are calling and you must go on this trip to provide pack support to a PNTA crew maintaining this epic gateway to the Pasayten Wilderness! A pair of crews will maintain the PNT between Cold Springs and Teapot Dome. The Loomis SF crew will keep a basecamp at the trailhead to Goodenough Park, while the Pasayten crew backpacks into the Wilderness with your help.
Whether they’re carrying a backpack or leading a pack string of stock animals, pack support volunteers help move tools and supplies in and out of our backcountry “spike camps” so crews can direct more of their energy towards trail work. The PNTA can equip you with a backpack for this mission.
Packing in to the backcountry: We’d like a crew to relocate to a spike camp in Horseshoe Basin (approx. 11mi | 8 hr RT) when they head out to work on (7/21) Thursday morning.
Given the remote location and roundtrip length of the hike, we recommend the pack party arrive the evening before their hike. With enough notice we can feed you at basecamp— breakfast before you head out, and dinner when you return!
Alternatively, a pack support party could depart from the trailhead on Friday morning with a food resupply, then help the crew relocate to Louden Lake on Friday evening or Saturday morning. Camp with the crew in the backcountry before hiking back to basecamp the following day (approx. 8 mi | 4–5 hrs).
Packing out of the backcountry:
We’d like the crew to return to basecamp at the end of the day, Monday— departing from their backcountry camp in the early afternoon.
Pack supporters are welcome to remain with the crew at basecamp on Sunday night before departing from the trailhead on (7/25) Monday morning.
And please be our guest at basecamp when you return from your mission on Monday evening. With enough notice, the basecamp crew would be happy to feed our pack team on Sunday night thru Monday.
Note: If you are utilizing stock animals then we may be able to reimburse you for mileage. Reach out to the Project Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate details for your pack support trip.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2021
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Volunteer Coordinator, TBD
- Trip Time: up to 9+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 16 miles round trip
- Spots Available:
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by 12:00 p.m., Friday July 15th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Tonasket Ranger District, and Loomis State Forest
- Rendezvous Location: TBD
- Staging Area: Goodneough Trailhead
- Camping: Multi-day participants can disperse camp as part of the PNTA crews
- Directions: See Location for directions
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.