Date(s): 09/08/2022 - 09/11/2022
Total: 20 / Remaining: 20
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by guardian
- Difficulty: Intermediate to Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles to over 6 miles— varies by team and day
- Trip Type: Volunteer Work Party
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
With your help, PNTA crews will restore part of the Kettle Crest trail system that has all but vanished. The Leona Loop Trail has nearly disappeared under regrowth and thick vegetation following the 2015 Stickpin Fire.
You can sign up to join us for a day, or camp out at the Leona Trailhead if you’d like to help out for the entire weekend.
This event is great for beginners. “Swampers” will help clear a path through the brush by following behind PNTA sawyers who will cut downed trees along the trail. Volunteers will help them get more done by rolling freshly cut log rounds and tossing branches off the trail. Volunteers will also help clear brush from the trail by using loppers or handsaws, and they may help restore the trail’s tread and drains along the way.
No trail crew experience necessary! The PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack, and a thirst for a rewarding day on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2020
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): All
- Trip Time: up to 6+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 6 miles/day roundtrip
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by 12:00 p.m. Friday, September 2nd
- Cost: Free
- Access: High-clearance vehicles are recommended; the roads up to Leona Trailhead can be deeply rutted in places.
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Republic and Three Rivers Ranger Districts
- Rendezvous Location: Leona Trailhead
- Staging Area: N/A
- Camping: Multi-day participants my disperse camp with PNTA crew leaders
- Directions: See Rendezvous Locations above for directions
About Trip Duration
Volunteer crew members are free to participate for as long as they like. You may register to join us for the entire weekend or a single day. Either way, you’ll help will make a big difference out there!
Meals are available for multi-day participants who register early enough for us to include them in meal plans. (See Meals deadline in Project Details, above.)
Want to dig deeper and play longer? Crew leaders work at this location for several days, and transportation between a rendezvous location in Kettle Falls and the project location may be available for crew members who opt to stick around for maximum trip duration.
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Leona Trailhead
- No events in this location