Date(s): 07/07/2021 - 07/14/2021
Total: 0 / Remaining: 0
Bogachiel Rainforest River Trailhead
Download Event iCal
- Region: Olympic Peninsula
- Experience: Experience Recommended
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: over 10 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Work Party, Backcountry Trip
- Trip Type: Multi-day
- Project Type: General Maintenance
Help restore the Bogachiel River Trail segment of the PNT through lush and beautiful rainforests on the west side of Olympic National Park. A series of washouts along the river and some administrative red tape have left the trail in rugged condition for several years.
This summer, PNTA trail crews will work in Olympic National Park to restore the 22.5 mile-long segment of the PNT to national scenic trail standards. We are actively seeking volunteers to join us. PNTA trail crews will begin their season near Indian Creek in early July and work further east along the PNT as the season progresses. On the west end of the trail segment, volunteers with the WTA have been working to restore 1.5 miles of the PNT on the adjacent Olympic National Forest for multiple seasons.
With your help, we can reach our goal of restoring the entire 24-mile trail segment. There will be opportunities to camp out in the beautiful rainforest, trees to clear, vegetation to cut back, tread to maintain, structures to build, and many other fun and challenging projects.
Drop-in Work Parties
Please note, this backcountry Drop-in Work Party is suitable for volunteers with previous experience who can also carry a backpack while hiking at least 15 miles in a day.
Drop-in volunteers make a difference by working alongside PNTA Performance Crews. PNTA staff work on-site for the duration of the event, but volunteers are welcome to participate for as long as they like.
PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your backpacking kit, and a thirst for a rewarding few days on the trail. See the resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and gear recommendations.
This trip will be pack supported by our partners with the Backcountry Horsemen of Washington.
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
Other Ways to Volunteer
Pack support volunteers— people and/or stock animals—are welcome! These volunteers will help move tools and supplies in and out of our backcountry “spike camp,” so the crew can direct more of their energy towards trail work.
- Project Leader: William Yates and/or Sean Miller
- Trip Time: up to 6 hrs daily, + drive and hike time
- Hike Distance: up to 10 miles each way
- Spots Available: 6
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Olympic National Park
- Rendezvous Point: Bogachiel River Trailhead
- Camping: Volunteers may camp with PNTA staff at dispersed, undeveloped campsites in the park
- Directions: See Location for directions
All Events at Bogachiel Rainforest River Trailhead
- No events in this location