Date(s) - 08/13/2021 - 08/15/2021
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Elbow Lake Trailhead
Spots Available - 0
Download Event iCal
- Region: North Cascades
- Experience: Camping Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by a guardian
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Hike Length: 4-10 miles
- Trip Type: Backcountry Trip
- Trip Type: Muti-Day Trip
- Project Type: Trail Maintenance
Lucky volunteers will help PNTA service the Pacific Northwest Trail south of Mt Baker while camping out in the backcountry. We’ll camp out at Elbow Lake for two nights while we work on the Bell Pass, Elbow Lake and South Fork Nooksack Trails.
Volunteers will help log out these remote and hard to reach trails and help restore their tread and drainage features. We’ll be using hand tools to reshape the walking surface, clean and restore drains and culverts to working order and brush back the fast-growing vegetation.
Volunteers will meet at the northern Elbow Lake trailhead and hike four miles into the lake and then set up camp. We’ll work Friday afternoon and Saturday and then pack up and hike out on Sunday morning. Food will be provided, but volunteers must have some personal backpacking gear. If you are in need of an item or two, please let us know. PNTA may be able to loan tents and other items from our gear library. Please see our packing list for more information.
We will meet at the trailhead on Forest Road 38 at 9:00am, have a quick safety chat and then hike in and set up camp. This is one of the few Backcountry Trips available this season and camping is limited, so sign up soon to reserve your spot today!
Prior backpacking experience is needed for this event, but no prior trail work experience is required.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2021
- Project Leader: Sterling Collins-Hill
- Trip Time: up to 48 hrs + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 6 miles
- Spots Available: 6
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest — Mt. Baker Ranger District
- Rendezvous Point: Elbow Lake Trailhead
- Staging Area: N/A
- Camping: Camping is included
- Directions: See Location for directions
Online bookings are not available for this event.