Date(s): 06/10/2023 - 06/11/2023
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Total: 24 / Remaining: 24
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by guardian
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles
- Trip Type: Volunteer Work Party (Sat/Sun); Drop-in Volunteers (Wed–Mon)
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work & Protection (tread repairs, drains)
Bathe your senses in the forest air and take in the expansive views from the second highest peak in eastern Washington, when you join the PNTA on Abercrombie Mountain out of Metaline Falls. Help prepare the PNT for summer visitors as part of a Volunteer Work Party on either Saturday or Sunday, maintaining Flume Creek TR 502.
Volunteers can help clear a path thru the PNT by joining a log out party as a “swamper” who follows behind a sawyer, rolling log rounds and tossing branches off the trail. Crew members can also use loppers or handsaws to trim back brush, saplings and branches growing in the corridor, and dirt work tools to touch up the tread and clear drains along the way.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack, and a thirst for a rewarding day on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
For those who’d like to stay and play longer, or who may be available to help on different days of the week, Drop-in Volunteers are welcome to help our team of crew leaders anytime during their hitch. See Registration tickets below for more options.
In addition to spending more time maintaining Flume Creek TR 502, we’ll also maintain the PNT on the west face of the mountain: Abercrombie Mountain TR 117. While we’re in that neck of the woods, we’ll also dabble with maintenance of nearby Sherlock Peak TR 139.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Jessica & Gwyn
- Trip Time: 2–8 hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: Crew leaders will likely work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Hike Distance: up to 6 miles round trip
- Spots Available: 4 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tue, May 30th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Three Rivers and Sullivan Lake Ranger Districts
- Rendezvous Location: Varies by day/trail; details to follow registration
- Volunteer Work Party (Fri–Sun): 0830 @ Metaline Mini Mart, Hwy 31
- Drop-in Volunteers (Wed–Thur, Mon): Silver Creek Campground
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Multi-day participants are welcome to car camp at a semi-developed campground with PNTA crew leaders
- Directions: See Rendezvous Locations (above) for directions
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Log in if you already have an account with us.
All Events at Metaline, WA
- Abercrombie Mountain Trails — Annual Maintenance - 06/10/2023 - 06/11/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm