Date(s): 06/06/2023 - 06/13/2023
Total: 4 / Remaining: 3
4th of July Trailhead
Download Event iCal
- Region: The Okanogan
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by guardian
- Difficulty: Intermediate to Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles, to over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Work-based Learning Experience
- Or Volunteer Work Party, see below
- Trip Duration: Multi-day
- VWP: Day trip(s) or multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
In 2021, a wildfire closed the PNT and other popular trails around Mount Bonaparte. With volunteers’ help, we will restore those trails in time for summer!
During this trip, there will be opportunities to take a close look at the rebirth of a forest as the succession cycle begins again, and grasses, leafy herbaceous plants and wildflowers begin blanketing the ground.
PNTA crews will be working on the western half of Fourth of July Ridge TR 307, as well as Cabin TR 303 and Antoine TR 304 on Bonaparte’s north face. Crew member “swampers” will follow behind a sawyer, rolling log rounds and tossing cut branches out of the trail corridor. We will cover a lot of ground during this hitch, staying on the move, doing spot repairs and noting what else needs to be done to restore the trail to spec and prevent erosion.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack and/or personal gear, and a thirst for a rewarding excursion on the PNT!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2018
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Miles & Elizabeth
- Trip Time: 8–10 hrs daily (WBL)
- Volunteers: 2–8 hours daily, + drive time
- Note: Crew leaders will likely work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Hike Distance: 4–8 miles round trip
- Spots Available: 2 students or 4 volunteers
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tues May 30th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Tonasket Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Fourth of July Trailhead
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Participants will disperse camp with PNTA crew leaders near the trailhead
- Directions: See Location for directions
About Work-based Learning Experiences
This event is reserved for students participating in a Work-based Learning Experience. Students must contact their school WBL program administrator to join this trip.
Registration for WBL students closes two weeks prior to the trip start date. If no students sign up, then this event opens to the public as a Volunteer Work Party.
Volunteers can register below to be on the work party wait list. Also, look out below for other opportunities to volunteer at this location.
RSVP to this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
A PNT website login/account is NOT required to register for events. We do, however, ask you to enroll as a PNTA volunteer if you haven’t done so already; see enrollment link in (emailed) registration receipt.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at 4th of July Trailhead
- No events in this location