Date(s): 07/18/2023 - 07/25/2023
Total: 22 / Remaining: 10
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: Backpacking experience recommended
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Backcountry Trip, Drop-in Work Party
- Trip Duration: Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains, structures)
For some volunteers, using crosscut saws and camping out in the Pasayten Wilderness with a seasoned trail crew is as good as it gets!
On this backcountry trip our crew will backpack out to “Fireplace Camp” at the foot of Haig Mountain on the PNT/ Boundary TR 533. This 10.5 mile hike from the Goodenough Trailhead takes about 7 hours on foot.
From our backcountry camp we’ll work west, cutting logs along a 5 mile stretch of the PNT toward Teapot Dome. Once this section of corridor is clear, we’ll turn our attention to tread work.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to camp out with the crew. They’ll take turns using a big crosscut saw to cut logs, and smaller hand saws and loppers to cut saplings and brush from the trail. PNTA sawyers can also use volunteer “swampers” to help remove freshly cut branches and logs from the trail.
Please note, this is a physically challenging trip in a rugged and remote wilderness area. Previous backpacking experience is highly recommended, but no trail crew experience is necessary. The PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training.
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Hannah & Sam
- Trip Time: up to 8+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: PNTA staff work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Adult participants may backpack in/out of the backcountry camp on their own timeframe; however, unaccompanied minors must remain with the crew for the full duration of the trip.
- There will NOT be a guide available to escort volunteers to/from the project site on a separate timeframes.
- Hike Distance: up to 6–8 miles round trip daily
- Spots Available: 2
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tues July 11th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Tonasket Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Goodenough Trailhead (end of Fourteenmile Rd)
- Staging Area: Goodneough Trailhead
- Camping: Disperse camp in the backcountry with the PNTA crews
- Directions: See Location for directions
How to Register for this Event
Please choose a space, sign in to your account, and click on the yellow registration button below. Or you can use the One Step Registration Form below to create a PNT.org account and register for an event in one step.
After you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email from the project leader with an invitation to complete a Volunteer Enrollment Form. This information helps us provide the best possible experience for volunteers. Thanks in advance for your cooperation!
Note: If you would like to book an additional spot for another member of your group, please log out of your pnt.org account and reload this page to submit an additional registration.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Disappointment & Goodenough Trailheads
- No events in this location