Date(s): 07/06/2023 - 07/10/2023
Total: 10 / Remaining: 0
Disappointment & Goodenough Trailheads
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: Backpacking experience preferred
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Work Party, Backcountry Trip
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains, structures)
For some volunteers, using crosscut saws and camping out in the Pasayten Wilderness with a seasoned trail crew is as good as it gets!
On this backcountry trip our PNTA Performance Crew will backpack out to “Lone Wolf Camp” on Long Draw TR 340, an approximate 5.6 mile trek from Goodneough Trailhead that takes about four hours on foot.
(For other ways to help, see also: Pack Support.)
From there we’ll continue working west on the PNT Boundary TR 533. With your help we can meet our goal for this hitch: to clear a path to the foot of Haig Mountain, ensuring a pack string loaded with gear and supplies can reach our camp the following week, when we’ll continue maintaining the PNT across the Wilderness.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to camp out with the crew. They’ll take turns using a big crosscut saw to cut logs, and smaller hand saws and loppers to cut saplings and brush from the trail. PNTA sawyers can also use volunteer “swampers” to help remove freshly cut branches and logs from the trail.
Please note, this is a physically challenging trip in a rugged and remote wilderness area. Previous backpacking experience is highly recommended, but no trail crew experience is necessary. The PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training.
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Hannah & Sam
- Trip Time: 2–10 hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: Performance Crews work a full 8–10 hour day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Timeline: The crew will backpack into the Wilderness on Friday morning, and return to the trailhead on Monday evening. Volunteers are welcome to arrive at basecamp (Goodneough Trailhead) on Thursday evening.
- On this hitch we will NOT be able to provide a guide to escort volunteers to/from the project site. Volunteers who wish to arrive and depart from the project on their own timeline should be comfortable with backcountry navigation, and potentially trekking in/out of the site by themselves.
- Hike Distance: up to 6–12 miles round trip daily
- Spots Available: 2 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tuesday June 27th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Tonasket Ranger District, and Loomis State Forest
- Rendezvous Location: Goodenough Trailhead (end of Fourteenmile Rd)
- Staging Area: Goodneough Trailhead
- Camping: Multi-day participants will disperse camp with the PNTA crews
- Directions: See Location for directions
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
This event is fully booked.
All Events at Disappointment & Goodenough Trailheads
- East Pasayten Wilderness: Goodenough Park to Haig Mountain — Log Out and Maintenance - 07/06/2023 - 07/10/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness — Pack Support - 07/07/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness — Pack In Support - 07/18/2023 - 07/19/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness: Horseshoe Basin to Teapot Dome — Log Out and Maintenance - 07/18/2023 - 07/25/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness — Pack Out Support - 07/23/2023 - 07/24/2023 - All Day