9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Total: 20 / Remaining: 18
Les Hilde Trailhead
Download Event iCal
- Region: North Cascades
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults, 16–17 with guardian consent, 10–15 accompanied by a guardian
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Hike Length: 1 mile
- Trip Type: Volunteer Trail Work Party
- Trip Type: Day Trip
- Project Type: Trail Structure Construction
Volunteer with the Pacific Northwest Trail Association as we build a turnpike on a section of trail in the Harry Osborn State Forest!
This section of trail traverses shaded slopes of alder and Douglas fir just below Mt. Josephine. At this event, we’ll complete a turnpike project started by volunteers and one of our Performance Trail Crews this June.
What is a turnpike? A turnpike is a trail structure built with rock and wood designed to lift the trail out of a trenched or muddy area. This project will involve use of wood working tools, wheelbarrows, and hand tools. Learn more about turnpikes and other trail structures here.
Whether you’re new to trail work, or a seasoned professional, working with a team to build a structure like this can be truly rewarding. Hikers will enjoy the fruits of your labor for seasons to come!
Participants will meet at 9:00am at the Les Hilde Trailhead in the Harry Osborne State Forest about 10 miles east of Sedro-Woolley. Be advised a WA State Discover Pass is required. From the trailhead we will drive a short distance to the worksite where we will have a quick safety chat and then get to work, wrapping up about 3:00pm.
Volunteers must have a daypack, lunch, water, long pants, long sleeves and boots.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2021
- Project Leader: Evan Watson
- Trip Time: up to 6 hrs + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 1 miles round trip
- Spots Available: 20
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Washington State DNR – Harry Osborne State Forest
- Rendezvous Point: Les Hilde Trailhead
- Camping: Camping is not included with this event but is available at the Harry Osborn State Forest
- Directions: See Location for directions
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Les Hilde Trailhead
- No events in this location