Date(s): 09/15/2022 - 09/18/2022
Total: 16 / Remaining: 16
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by guardian
- Difficulty: Easy to Intermediate
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles
- Trip Type: Volunteer Work Party
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
Enjoy the golden days of late-summer on the Kettle Crest with a PNTA work party restoring Leona Loop TR 049.1.
The Leona Loop trail disappeared under revegetation from the 2015 Stickpin Fire, until last weekend when a trio of work parties reopened the corridor. This weekend we’ll improve the tread and corridor to spec, making the Leona Loop a proper developed trail once again.
We’ll use loppers and handsaws to trim back brush, saplings and branches growing in the trail, and dirt work tools to restore the tread and drains along the way.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack, and a thirst for a rewarding day on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: Last weekend
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): TBD
- Trip Time: up to 6+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 6 miles round trip
- Spots Available: 4 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by 12:00 p.m. Friday, September 9th
- Cost: Free
- Access: High-clearance vehicles are recommended; the road up to Leona trailhead can be deeply rutted as you near the top
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Republic Ranger Districts
- Rendezvous Location: Leona Trailhead
- Staging Area:
- Camping: Multi-day participants may disperse camp with PNTA crew leaders
- Directions: See Location for directions
About Trip Duration
Volunteer crew members are free to participate for as long as they like. For example, you can join the crew as day-trip participant, or make this a multi-day adventure.
Meals are available for multi-day participants who register early enough for us to include them in meal plans. (See Meals deadline in Project Details, above.)
Want to dig deeper and play longer? Crew leaders work at this location for several days, and transportation between a rendezvous location in Kettle Falls and the project location may be available for crew members who opt to stick around for maximum trip duration.
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.