Total: 10 / Remaining: 10
Deer Creek Summit South Trailhead
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by guardian
- Difficulty: Intermediate to Difficult (due to hike length, but on relatively easy grades)
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles to over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Volunteer Work Party (Sunday); Drop-in Work Party (Thur–Sun)
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
It’s the perfect excuse to linger on the Kettle Crest while wildflowers are in their prime! Join this PNTA crew maintaining the Pacific Northwest Trail in the Kettle River Range, between Marble Mountain and Profanity Peak.
On this trip, working north to south, we’ll maintain: Marble Mountain TR 6120-400, East Deer Creek TR 6100-450, and the Kettle Crest TR 13N from Taylor Ridge to Profanity Peak.
Much of the North Kettle Crest is in its eighth season of regrowth since the 2015 Stickpin Fire, with shrubs thickets now well established and nursing the next generation of young forest. During this vigorous stage of regrowth, trails need regular maintenance to ensure the shrub community doesn’t overtake the corridor.
Experienced volunteers can “drop in” to boost the capacity of a PNTA Performance Crew over the weekend, or join a Volunteer Work Party (open to newbies!) on Sunday.
Together we will clear a path through the PNT by serving as “swampers” who follow behind a PNTA sawyer, rolling log rounds and tossing branches off the trail. We’ll also use loppers or handsaws to trim back brush and saplings, and dirt work tools to spot maintain the tread and clear drains along the way.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack, and a thirst for a rewarding day on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Forest Reeves, Volunteer Work Party (Sun)
- Drop-in (Thur–Sun): Miles & Elizabeth
- Trip Time: 2–10 hrs daily (Drop-ins)
- Volunteer Work Party: 2–8 hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: PNTA staff work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Hike Distance: up to 8 miles round trip at maximum range
- Spots Available: 2 daily (drop-in), or 4 total (volunteer work party)
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tues, June 27th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Republic Republic Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Deer Creek Summit North 040/ Summit Motor Way FR 6100-450
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Multi-day participants may car camp at a semi-developed campground with the PNTA crew
- Directions: See Location for directions
How to Register for this Event
Please choose a space, sign in to your account, and click on the yellow registration button below. Or you can use the One Step Registration Form below to create a PNT.org account and register for an event in one step.
After you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email from the project leader with an invitation to complete a Volunteer Enrollment Form. This information helps us provide the best possible experience for volunteers. Thanks in advance for your cooperation!
Note: If you would like to book an additional spot for another member of your group, please log out of your pnt.org account and reload this page to submit an additional registration.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Deer Creek Summit South Trailhead
- No events in this location