Date(s): 09/05/2023 - 09/12/2023
Total: 4 / Remaining: 4
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent; 10–15 accompanied by guardian
- Difficulty: Easy to Intermediate
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles
- Trip Type: Work-based Learning Experience
- Or Volunteer Work Party, see “About WBL Experiences” below
- Trip Duration: Multi-day (WBL)
- Day trip(s) or Multi-day (VWP)
- Project Type: Log Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
Student work-based learning volunteers are invited to help complete the restoration of the Leona Loop Trail, a popular loop hike on the PNT with sweeping views of the Kettle Range!
Since 2015, this great trail has been all but lost. Maintenance has been postponed while the area recovered from the Stickpin fire. The PNTA began this big restoration project last year. With your help, we can finish the job and reopen the Leona Loop by late summer!
This event is great for beginners. At this work party we’ll focus on restoring the walking surface of the trail and clearing any remaining brush from the trail corridor. We’ll use loppers and handsaws to trim back saplings and branches growing in the trail, and we’ll use dirt work tools to reconstruct the tread and drains along the way.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack, and a thirst for a rewarding day on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: Aug 2023
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Jessica & Gwyn
- Trip Time: 8–10 hrs daily (WBL)
- Volunteers: 2–8 hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: Crew leaders will likely work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Hike Distance: up to 6 miles round trip
- Spots Available: 2 students total, or 4 volunteers daily
- Cost: Free
- Access: High-clearance vehicles are recommended; the road up to Leona trailhead can be deeply rutted as you near the top
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Republic Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Leona Trailhead
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Multi-day participants are welcome to disperse camp with PNTA crew leaders near the trailhead
- Directions: See Location for directions
About Work-based Learning Experiences
This event is reserved for students participating in a Work-based Learning Experience. Students must contact their school WBL program administrator to enroll in this trip.
Registration for WBL students closes two weeks prior to the trip start date. If no students enroll, then this event opens to the public as a Volunteer Work Party.
Volunteers can register below to be on the work party wait list. Also, look out below for other opportunities to volunteer at this location.
How to Register for this Event
Please choose a space, sign in to your account, and click on the yellow registration button below. Or you can use the One Step Registration Form below to create a PNT.org account and register for an event in one step.
After you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email from the project leader with an invitation to complete a Volunteer Enrollment Form. This information helps us provide the best possible experience for volunteers. Thanks in advance for your cooperation!
Note: If you would like to book an additional spot for another member of your group, please log out of your pnt.org account and reload this page to submit an additional registration.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Leona Trailhead
- No events in this location