Date(s): 08/16/2023 - 08/19/2023
Total: 6 / Remaining: 6
Sullivan Lake Ranger Station
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: Backpacking Experience Recommended
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Work Party, Backcountry Trip
- Or Work-based Learning Experience (see “More Options” below)
- Trip Duration: Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
Looking for an opportunity to camp out on the PNT in the backcountry while making a difference? Join a pair of seasoned PNTA crew leaders heading out to North Fork Sullivan Creek Trail 507, part of the congressionally designated route of the PNT.
Volunteers will help remove downed trees from the trail, clearing a path to the Wilderness boundary. Not only will you help clear the PNT, you’ll help a second volunteer group be more productive during a party inside the Wilderness a few days later.
Volunteers at this event will serve as “swampers” who will assist trained sawyers while they work to cut logs and branches using chainsaws. Volunteer swampers follow at a safe distance behind sawyers, rolling log rounds and moving branches off the trail so they can continue cutting. Volunteers will also have opportunities to use loppers or handsaws to trim back brush and saplings from the trail. They may also use dirt work tools to make spot repairs to the tread.
Please note, this is a physically challenging trip in a rugged and remote wilderness area. Previous backpacking experience is highly recommended, but no trail crew experience is necessary. The PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training.
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- Saturday – Tuesday, the crew leaders will car camp in the front country while maintaining Halliday TR 522 — another “original draft” part of the Designated PNT route. (Halliday ties in with N Fk Sullivan Creek and Red Bluff trails in the backcountry.)
- Backcountry volunteers are welcome to stay for this portion of the trip, or new volunteers may join the team as day-trip participants.
- This trip is available to be adopted by a school for a Work-based Learning Experience. Students must contact their school WBL program administrator to enroll in this trip.
On this trip we’ll depart from Red Bluff Trail 553 on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning (depending on the availability of pack support), trekking 5–6 miles into the backcountry to disperse camp near the start of North Fork Sullivan Creek Trail.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Miles & Elizabeth
- Trip Time: up to 8+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: PNTA staff work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Adult participants may backpack in/out of the backcountry camp on their own timeframe; however, unaccompanied minors must remain with the crew for the full duration of the trip.
- There will NOT be a guide available to escort volunteers to/from the backcountry project site on separate timeframes.
- Hike Distance: up to 6 miles daily
- Spots Available: 2 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tuesday, August 8th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Sullivan Lake Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Sullivan Lake Ranger Station
- Staging Area: Red Bluff Trailhead
- Camping: Included for participants who disperse camp in the backcountry with the PNTA crews (Wed–Sat), or in the front country (Sun–Mon); developed/fee campgrounds are available nearby, but not included.
- Directions: See Location for directions
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Log in if you already have an account with us.
All Events at Sullivan Lake Ranger Station
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 06/10/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 06/24/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Grassy-Hall Divide Trails — Annual Maintenance - 06/25/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- N Fk Sullivan Creek — Pack In Support - 08/16/2023 - All Day
- N Fk Sullivan Creek Trail — Annual Maintenance - 08/16/2023 - 08/19/2023 - All Day
- N Fk Sullivan Creek — Pack Out Support - 08/20/2023 - All Day
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 09/23/2023 - All Day
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 10/05/2023 - 10/08/2023 - All Day