Total: 12 / Remaining: 12
Sullivan Lake Ranger Station
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: Backpacking experience recommended
- Ages: adults; 15–17 with a guardian
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Pack Support, Backcountry
- Trip Duration: Day Trip, or Multi-day
- Project Type: Pack Support
August is a great time to visit Sullivan Lake and spend a day volunteering as a pack support volunteer.
We’re looking for volunteers to help transport a PNTA trail crew’s equipment to a backcountry worksite on the Colville National Forest. These volunteers make a huge difference by helping trail crews arrive in backcountry with more time and energy to spend on trail work.
With your help, on Wednesday morning, a PNTA trail crew will hike out the Red Bluff Trail 553 to reach a worksite on the North Fork Sullivan Creek Trail 507. This 6-mile trek that will take about 3.5–4 hours on foot, one way. From there, our crew will clear the logs off the trail to the Wilderness boundary, just in time to help a WTA work party that will also be working over the weekend. (The WTA work party could also benefit from pack support on Thursday morning; the PNTA is happy to help coordinate a 2-for-1 support effort.)
We are also seeking volunteers to help pack our crews return from the Wilderness on Sunday, August 20th.
If backcountry equestrians are interested in volunteering for this trip, we could accomplish our goals with 2–3 stock animals, hauling in roughly 250–300 pounds of supplies, tools and gear.
If equestrians aren’t available, then we’ll lighten our loads and make any necessary adjustments to get the job done with two-legged volunteers; 4–8 volunteer backpackers could help the crew carry in supplies and gear.
The PNTA can provide you with backpacks, and you decide how much weight you or your stock are comfortable carrying.
Please bring your essential daypack items, as well as your backpacking gear if you plan to make this a multi-day trip. See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Miles & Elizabeth
- Trip Time: up to 8+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 12 miles round trip
- Spots Available: 2–10
- Meals: Not included; meal reimbursement available for multi-day participants
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Sullivan Lake Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Red Bluff Trailhead
- Staging Area: Red Bluff Trailhead
- Camping: Not included, but we’ll do our best to ensure multi-day volunteers have a place they’re allowed to disperse camp near Sullivan Lake; developed/ fee and dispersed campsites are nearby
- Directions: See Location for directions
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Log in if you already have an account with us.
All Events at Sullivan Lake Ranger Station
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 06/10/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 06/24/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Grassy-Hall Divide Trails — Annual Maintenance - 06/25/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- N Fk Sullivan Creek — Pack In Support - 08/16/2023 - All Day
- N Fk Sullivan Creek Trail — Annual Maintenance - 08/16/2023 - 08/19/2023 - All Day
- N Fk Sullivan Creek — Pack Out Support - 08/20/2023 - All Day
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 09/23/2023 - All Day
- Sullivan Outlet Creek — New Trail - 10/05/2023 - 10/08/2023 - All Day