Date(s): 06/22/2023 - 06/25/2023
Total: 8 / Remaining: 4
Gypsy Meadows Campground
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: Experience Preferred
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Intermediate to Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles to over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Volunteers (Th–Sun)
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
We’re seeking experienced volunteers to help log out the PNT in the Salmo-Priest Wilderness.
Drop-in volunteers and our Performance Trail Crew may be the first people to set foot in the wilderness this year. Our mission is to clear the Congressional route of the PNT on Shedroof Cutoff Trail 511 and get the trail ready for summer visitors. We will also clear a critical access trail to the PNT the Shedroof Divide Trail 512 via Thunder Creek Trail 526.
Volunteers will take turns as sawyers, helping to operate a large two-person crosscut saw to clear fallen logs from the trail way. When they are ready to take a break from the saw, they can also help by working as “swampers” who assist sawyers by rolling the log rounds and branches they have cut from the trail.
At this work party, there will also be opportunities to use loppers and smaller handsaws to trim back brush and saplings, and to us dirt work tools to repair the tread and clear drains along the way.
The PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack and camp gear (if you’ll stay overnight), and a thirst for a uniquely rewarding way to experience the PNT!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): Miles & Elizabeth
- Trip Time: 2–10 hrs daily
- Note: PNTA staff work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Hike Distance: up to 10 miles round trip at maximum range
- Spots Available: 2 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tue, June 13th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Sullivan Lake Ranger District
- Rendezvous Location: Sullivan-Salmo FR 2220 @ Gypsy Meadows Campground
- Staging Area: N/A
- Camping: Multi-day participants may disperse camp with the PNTA crew at an undeveloped site near the trailheads; developed and fee campgrounds (not included) are available in the area.
- Directions: See Location for directions
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Log in if you already have an account with us.
All Events at Gypsy Meadows Campground
- Shedroof Divide Access Trails — Annual Maintenance - 06/22/2023 - 06/25/2023 - All Day
- Salmo-Priest Wilderness — Pack In Support - 08/01/2023 - All Day
- Salmo-Priest Wilderness — Pack Out Support - 08/07/2023 - All Day