Date(s): 08/15/2023 - 08/22/2023
Total: 4 / Remaining: 4
Ryan Cabin Trailhead
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 15–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Easy to Intermediate
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles
- Trip Type: Work-based Learning Experience
- Or Volunteer Work Party, see below
- Trip Duration: Multi-day (WBL)
- Day trip(s) or Multi-day (VWP)
- Project Type: Construction (puncheon bridge), Brush Out, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
Work-based learning student volunteers will help reopen the Stickpin Trail 071, at long last! Stickpin is an access trail to the Kettle Crest that was once part of a popular loop for day trips on the PNT.
Much of the North Kettle Crest is in its eighth season of regrowth since the 2015 Stickpin Fire, with shrubs thickets now well established and nursing the next generation of young forest. During this vigorous stage of succession, trails need regular maintenance to ensure the shrub community doesn’t overtake the corridor.
To finish restoration of the Stickpin Trail, the PNTA will complete construction of a puncheon bridge over a stream, and use loppers and handsaws to reopen the corridor where it has been lost to brush and young trees.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, crew training and outdoor skills mentorship. Just bring yourself, your daypack & gear, and a thirst for a rewarding day outdoors!
See Volunteer Resources (below) for FAQs and a packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: Aug 8th
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader/s: Jessica & Gwyn
- Trip Time: 8–10 hrs daily (WBL)
- Volunteers: 2–8 hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: Crew leaders will likely work a full day, but volunteer crew members are always welcome to participate at their own pace for as long as they like.
- Hike Distance: up to 5 miles round trip daily
- Spots Available: 3 students total, or 4 volunteers daily
- Cost: Free
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tuesday, August 8th
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Three Rivers Ranger District
- Rendezvous Point: Ryan Cabin Trailhead
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Multi-day participants can disperse camp with PNTA crew leaders near the trailhead
- Directions: See location
About Work-based Learning Experiences
This event is reserved for students participating in a Work-based Learning Experience. Students must contact their school WBL program administrator to join this trip.
Registration for WBL students closes two weeks prior to the trip start date. If no students sign up, then this event opens to the public as a Volunteer Work Party.
Other PNTA volunteers can register below to be on the work party wait list. Also, look below for other opportunities to volunteer at this location.
How to Register for this Event
Please choose a space, sign in to your account, and click on the yellow registration button below. Or you can use the One Step Registration Form below to create a PNT.org account and register for an event in one step.
After you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email from the project leader with an invitation to complete a Volunteer Enrollment Form. This information helps us provide the best possible experience for volunteers. Thanks in advance for your cooperation!
Note: If you would like to book an additional spot for another member of your group, please log out of your pnt.org account and reload this page to submit an additional registration.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Ryan Cabin Trailhead
- No events in this location