Date(s): 05/27/2023 - 05/28/2023
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Total: 24 / Remaining: 24
Sweat Creek Picnic Area
Download Event iCal
- Region: The Okanogan
- Experience: No Experience Needed
- Ages: adults; 15–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Easy to Intermediate
- Hike Length: 3–6 miles
- Trip Type: Volunteer Trail Work Party (Sat/Sun); Drop-in Volunteers (Wed-Mon)
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains)
Get out and enjoy the fleeting green of spring in the Okanogan Highlands near Republic, Washington. At these volunteer events, you can help maintain some of the less explored parts of the PNT on the Colville National Forest, and get them ready for the summer.
During Volunteer Work Parties on Saturday and Sunday, this PNTA crew will work on maintaining the PNT where it heads out of Swan Lake, and where it skirts around Fir Mountain (Corner Butte Trail). These unique parts of the PNT haven’t been formally recognized as individual trails yet, so you won’t find them on most maps!
Volunteer “swampers” will work with a PNTA sawyer, rolling log rounds and tossing cut branches off the trail corridor. Crew members also use loppers or handsaws to prune back brush and saplings, or dirtwork tools to touch up the surface of the trail and clear drains along the way.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, crew training and outdoor skills mentorship. Just bring yourself, your daypack & gear, and a thirst for a rewarding day outdoors!
See Volunteer Resources (below) for FAQs and a packing recommendations.
For those who’d like to stay and play longer, or who may be available to help on different days of the week, Drop-in Volunteers are welcome to help our lonely team of crew leaders anytime during their workweek. See Registration tickets below for more options.
In addition to spending more time maintaining Corner Butte and Swan Butte Cutoff trails, during this hitch we’ll also maintain the PNT on the north face of Clackamas Mountain— another unique part of the trail that’s not on most maps.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2022
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader/s: Miles & Elizabeth
- Trip Time: 2–8 hrs daily, + drive time
- Note: Crew leaders work a full day, but volunteer crew members are welcome to participate for as long as they like.
- Hike Distance: up to 5 miles round trip daily
- Spots Available: 4 daily
- Cost: Free
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by Tuesday, May 16th
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Tonasket and Republic Ranger Districts
- Rendezvous Point: Varies by day; details to follow registration
- Wauconda, Sweat Creek Picnic Area, Swan Lake
- Staging Area: NA
- Camping: Multi-day participants are welcome to disperse camp with PNTA crew leaders
- Directions: See location
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Log in if you already have an account with us.
All Events at Sweat Creek Picnic Area
- Swan Lake to Clackamas Mountain — Annual Maintenance - 05/27/2023 - 05/28/2023 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm