Spur Mountain FR 3300-100
A small trailhead on Spur Mountain Road provides access to the Southside Trail 308, part of the Pacific Northwest Trail. A lower trailhead is located a half-mile up Spur Mountain Road from the Bonaparte Lake Overlook at the top of Pipsissewa Trail 383.
- From Tonasket, follow Hwy 20 east for approx. 20 miles, then turn left Bonaparte Lake Rd (Bonaparte Lake Recreation Area).
- Follow Bonaparte Lake FR 3200-000; at approx. 8.4 miles stay straight on FR 3300, heading towards Big Tree and Lost Lake.
- After approx. 5.25 miles, FR 3300 T’s at a junction. Turn right to stay on FR 3300. (A left turn here would take you to Lost Lake.)
- Less than half a mile from the junction, turn left up Spur Mountain FR 3300-100.
- In approx. 4.7 miles, the trailhead for Southside TR 308 will be on your right.
It is NOT recommended to follow routes (often suggested by mapping and navigation apps) that approach Southside Trail 308 from the south, via Mill Creek 3230 and Spur Mountain Road FR 3300-100. This is not a shortcut worth taking. While the Forest Service’s portions of Spur Mountain Road are generally in fine condition, there’s an intervening section of state land where the road is so severely eroded that it is potentially impassable even in a high-clearance vehicle with four-wheel drive.
There is a small clearing across the road from the trail, large enough for 3–4 vehicles to park.
Hiking, Horseback Riding
No fees or passes are required for day-use visitors