Date(s): 07/21/2022 - 07/24/2022
Total: 12 / Remaining: 11
Disappointment & Goodenough Trailheads
Download Event iCal
- Region: Northeast Washington
- Experience: Backpacking experience recommended
- Ages: adults; 16–17 with guardian consent
- Difficulty: Difficult (due to hike length)
- Hike Length: over 6 miles
- Trip Type: Drop-in Work Party, Backcountry Trip
- Trip Duration: Day Trip(s), Multi-day
- Project Type: Log Out, Brush Out, Tread Work, Protection (tread repairs, drains, structures)
The mountains are calling and you must go on this trip with a PNTA crew to maintain an epic gateway to the Pasayten Wilderness! Bonus: For this trip the PNTA is offering a volunteer shuttle between Sedro-Woolley and the trailhead— learn more below.
A pair of PNTA parties will maintain the PNT from Cold Springs in Loomis State Forest (Chopaka Mountain Trail, Goodenough Park Trail) to Teapot Dome in the Pasayten Wilderness (Goodenough Peak Trail, Long Draw TR 340, Boundary TR 533).
This Pasayten team will backpack in approx. eight miles to Louden Lake on the PNT Boundary Trail, and work as far west as Teapot Dome.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Volunteer to help clear the path of the PNT by joining this log out party as a “swamper” who follows behind sawyers, rolling log rounds and tossing branches off the trail. Take turns on the end of a crosscut saw as we maintain a corridor through the Wilderness. Crew members also use loppers or handsaws to trim back brush and saplings growing in the corridor, and/or dirtwork tools to restore the tread and clear drains along the way.
If you’re not available to serve on a crew, but you’re up for a solid day hike (or two-day trip in the Pasayten!), you can still make a difference by helping a crew carry gear and supplies to their spike camp in the Wilderness. See the Pack Support event for details.
No trail crew experience necessary: the PNTA provides tools, personal protective equipment, and training. Just bring yourself, your daypack, and a thirst for a rewarding day on the trail!
See Resources (below) for Frequently Asked Questions and packing recommendations.
- PNTA Last Worked Here: 2021
- Project Leader: Kristin Ackerman
- Trail Crew Leader(s): TBD
- Trip Time: up to 6+ hrs daily, + drive time
- Hike Distance: up to 6–8 miles round trip daily
- Spots Available: 2 daily
- Meals: Included for multi-day participants who register & enroll by 12:00 p.m., Friday July 15th
- Cost: Free
Other Location Info
- Land Manager: Colville National Forest — Tonasket Ranger District, and Loomis State Forest
- Rendezvous Location: TBD
- Staging Area: Goodneough Trailhead
- Camping: Multi-day participants can disperse camp as part of the PNTA crews
- Directions: See Location for directions
About Drop-in Work Parties
“Drop-in” volunteers make a difference by boosting the capacity of a PNTA Performance Crew. The crew works on site for the duration of the trip, but volunteers are welcome to participate for as long as they like.
Meals are available for multi-day participants who register early enough for us to include them in meal plans. (See Meals deadline in Project Details, above.)
Want to dig deeper and play longer? The Performance Crew works at this location for a full week, and drop-in volunteers are welcome to join any day. Contact the Project Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to join the crew on a day not listed in the registry.
About the Volunteer Shuttle
Drop-in volunteers are welcome to drive personal vehicles and join us for a day or two on the trail — or they are welcome to sign up for our volunteer shuttle and register for a five-day excursion.
On Thursday morning our Volunteer Coordinator will drive a shuttle from Sedro-Woolley to Goodenough Trailhead, with space for (4) four volunteers. Stops can be made along the way in Winthrop, Okanogan, Omak, Tonasket, etc.
After camping overnight at the established trailhead basecamp, on Friday morning volunteers will join their PNTA trail crews. The Volunteer Coordinator will guide a pair of volunteers into the Pasayten Wilderness to tie in with the Performance Crew camped at Louden Lake, approximately eight miles in. You’ll enjoy a rewarding weekend on a PNTA crew nestled in the wild and scenic North Cascades, then hike out with your guide on Monday morning.
On Monday afternoon, the shuttle will depart and make the (5) five hour return trip to Sedro-Woolley.
Register for this Party
Note: If you’ve already booked a spot on this trip and you’d like to book additional spots for other members of your group, or view the booking options again, then log out of your pnt.org account (if applicable) and reload this page.
Bookings are closed for this event.
All Events at Disappointment & Goodenough Trailheads
- East Pasayten Wilderness: Goodenough Park to Haig Mountain — Log Out and Maintenance - 07/06/2023 - 07/10/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness — Pack Support - 07/07/2023 - 07/08/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness — Pack In Support - 07/18/2023 - 07/19/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness: Horseshoe Basin to Teapot Dome — Log Out and Maintenance - 07/18/2023 - 07/25/2023 - All Day
- East Pasayten Wilderness — Pack Out Support - 07/23/2023 - 07/24/2023 - All Day